HAAS MIDDLE SCHOOL
Haas Middle School Mission Statement
The mission of Haas Middle School is to inspire and develop the hearts and minds of all students through meaningful and engaging instruction that will empower them to achieve academic and social success now and in their future endeavors.
Haas Middle School Athletics Vision and Philosophy
Haas Middle School’s vision is to be a world-class middle school where every student achieves academic and social success in order to cultivate the future leaders of tomorrow.Athletics at Haas provides opportunities for physical, mental, emotional, and social development. At Haas, we strive for excellence and encourage our young athletes to have the same mentality. Representing your school in competition will push you to your greatest physical limits and will require you to work cooperatively with your teammates, coaches, teachers and parents both on and off the field. We wish for all athletes to develop a strong sense of school spirit and pride. Lastly, we hope to provide the opportunity for each athlete to develop a passion for athletics that will carry over into all aspects of their lives.
The athletic program at Haas Middle School is an integral part of the total school experience for both boys and girls. It offers a variety of sports to all students who have the ability and the desire to participate. However, no student is obligated to take part in athletics, nor is participation in athletics required. It is also to be stressed that participation in our athletic program is a PRIVILEGE, not a right. Since it is a privilege, the coaching staff and administration, have the authority to suspend or revoke the privilege when the rules and standards of this athletic program are not followed.
Our guidelines are designed to encourage athletes to make better choices on and off the field that will ensure year- round participation. You, the student athlete, are accountable and responsible for all polices contained within our guidelines and for any additional ones that your respective coaches might add.
As coaches, we encourage, support and advise you to follow our direction in order to thrive in your chosen sport. We wish you every success throughout this school year.
Available Sports in 7th and 8th Grade:
- Cross Country
- Track & Field
- Swimming & Diving
Eligibility & Participation
- All students must perform a physical examination by a local physician on CCISD "physical form" paperwork. Coaches will provide all athletes with the correct forms. Furthermore, all athletes and parent/guardians must fill out the following forms on Rank One Sport (Found at https://corpuschristiisd.rankonesport.com).
- Try outs - Try outs will be held at the beginning of every season. We encourage all students to attend. Teams will be chosen by your coach and no student will be left behind. There are opportunities within the season to move teams due to unforeseen circumstances.
- Please see our CCISD UIL Athletic Handbook for all age eligibility guidelines.
1. UIL acknowledgement of Rules
3. Hydration and Nutrition Guidelines
4. UIL Concussion
5. UIL Cardiac Awareness Form
6. UIL Steroid
7. Medical History
Responsibilities of the Athlete
We strive for excellence at Haas Middle School and so all athletes have the responsibility to represent their school with pride, display outstanding conduct and fair play at all times. As an athlete you are always on display in the classroom, on the field and at practice.
1. In the classroom:
- Academics go hand-in-hand with all athletic competition. We expect our student athletes to take their academics extremely seriously - student first, athlete second.You must PASS TO PLAY.
- Grade checks will be conducted the 2nd and 5th weeks of the 6 weeks grading period. If a student is struggling in a class, tutorials will be mandatory.
- If a student’s behavior is not up to expectations in the classroom, (tardiness, horseplay, excessive talking, persistent misbehavior) classroom teachers will contact your coach immediately. Extra conditioning will be given by your coach to help the student athlete understand the importance of good behavior in class. NO EXCEPTIONS!
- Derogatory behavior and/or violation of school rules and regulations will be grounds for dismissal. Three ISS or one OSS incident may result in being dismissed from the team using coaches’ discretion.
- If a player receives ISS on the day of a game, the player will not be able to participate nor travel with the team for that game or meet.
- Placement in SSC will result in dismissal from the team.
- Special circumstances may call for the coaching staff and/or school administration to place a student/athlete on a "Behavior Contract" in order to give that student one last chance prior to dismissal. If this occurs, the student/athlete will be required to follow ALL aspects of the contract in order to stay on the team. If ANY of the terms of the contract are violated, the student/athlete will be dismissed from the team.
2. On the field:
- All athletes will learn that both winning and losing are part of the game and must learn to accept both. Remember at Haas - "Be humble in victory and gracious in defeat".
- Athletes must display fair play and respect at all times and be in control of their behavior.Any display of temper, profanity, horseplay or disrespect of the opposite team/officials and coaches will result in disciplinary action from the coach.
- Athletes must lead by example and show optimism at all times.
3. At Practice:
- It is very important to be on time to practice. Tardiness is not acceptable.
- Please arrive in appropriate clothing and footwear at all times. No jewelry is to be worn during practice or at games. This includes all types of jewelry, earrings and/or bracelets.
- An excused absence is one where the student was sick, or has had a serious illness or death in the family.The student must call or text before the practice or game and leave a message that they will not be able to attend.
- If you miss one practice with an excused absence, the student/athlete is required to make up conditioning before the next game. This is not punishment, but rather making up the work missed just as in any other class.
- If you miss a practice or game with an unexcused absence, you do not play in the upcoming game. Practice is not an option, it is MANDATORY.
- If you have three unexcused absences, you and/or your parents/guardians will meet with your coach to review our guidelines and further consequences may be dismissal from the team.
- Clean up after yourself in locker room and on the field or gym. Maintain neat and clean locker space. Be proud of your dressing area and keep it tidy. Lock all personal belongings in your locker. The school is not responsible for misplaced, lost, stolen or damaged personal property or textbooks.
- Maintain good personal hygiene at all times. Wash your practice clothing regularly. Use the shower facilities when there is time. Athletes should aim to minimize the risk of infection and enhance your overall health.
- Take all clothing home. The coaching staff and Haas Middle School will not be responsible for any items left out in the locker room.
4. Other general rules:
- Athletes are responsible for their issued uniform.It is your responsibility to keep it neat and clean and must be returned after the season is over.Any part of the uniform that is lost must be paid for. All athletes will be issued a locker but the student must provide their own lock. The student/athlete must not give his/her combination to anyone. All gear should be locked up. During practice and athletics, all personal items should be placed in the locker and locked up.
- If you miss an event during track and field season (last call), you will be dismissed from the team.
*** Consequences of violating athlete responsibilities:
- 1st offense: 5 suicide runs in the gym before/after practice
- 2nd offense: 10 suicide runs in the gym before/after practice
- 3rd offense: Partial game suspension
Students in Athletics will receive a weekly grade based on participation, effort and dressing out.
Travel: Team work promotes unity. All athletes must travel as a team to and from games/tournaments and other school arranged functions. If a situation should arise in which an athlete needs to travel home with a parent, prior arrangements must be made with the appropriate coach at least one day before the game, along with a signed form from the principal and parent.
The popularity of social networking websites (Facebook, Twitter, Vine, YouTube, Instagram, Snapchat, etc.) has grown tremendously during the last few years. These websites can serve as valuable communication tools when used appropriately. The use of social media, however, has the potential to cause problems for both the student athlete and the school environment. We take social media, cyber bullying, harassment very seriously.We have no tolerance on these types of issues.Disciplinary action related to social media negative occurrences are at the discretion of your coach, athletic coordinator, and/or administration.
Quitting is discouraged by all coaches. The athlete should talk to his/her coach to see if a solution can be reached without having to quit. If an athlete decides to quit, he/she is required to come and tell the coach why he is quitting and fill out a quit form which will be signed by the athlete and the parent. The student is then on a leave of absence of up to 3 days to think about this decision. After the 3 days, if the student still chooses to quit the team, he will be required to turn in all equipment that has been issued.
If an athlete injures himself/herself during practice, please notify your coach immediately.
Haas Middle School takes pride in their athletes and recognizes their achievements in our Sports Banquet after the competitive season is over. Athletes will receive a certificate for participation provided they are recommended for the award by their coach as a result of having shown good character, attitude and attendance throughout the season, in addition to having adhered to the athletic guidelines.
Coaches will provide their athletes with CCISD Athletic Passes. This allows free admission to all CCISD games. We encourage our athletes to visit other campuses and especially their feeder high school to support their fellow athletes and observe high school standards.If an athlete quits their chosen sport, their pass must be returned.
All concerns regarding the Athletic Program should follow the proper chain of command:
1. Athlete meets with his/her coach to discuss the problem.
2. Athlete and parent/guardian meet with his/her coach.
3. Athlete and parent/guardian meet with his/her Athletic Coordinator (Abraham Garcia for boys and Grainne Meninzor for girls).
5. Athlete and parent/guardian meet with his/her Principal (Dr. Lynda De Leon).
6. Athlete and parent/guardian meet with his/her Athletic Director (Brenda Marshall).
Medical and Insurance:
- Coaches will review all athletes’ medical forms. Coaches will discuss individual medical issues with the athlete and/or parent/guardian.
- Athletes are responsible for their own personal medical equipment. If an athlete has asthma he/she must have their inhaler present at practice and during games. Asthmatic athletes will not be allowed to practice or play without inhalers.
- CCISD injury insurance covers all athletes that are injured during a school sponsored event, practice or travel. The insurance is a basic coverage plan that pays benefits in a limited amount depending on differing variables. If the athlete has no other insurance this plan is the primary insurance provider. If the athlete has other insurance, this plan is a secondary provider. Reminder: This insurance will not cover full costs.
For any questions or concerns you can reach:
Coach Abraham Garcia at 878-4240 ext. 32940 (Abraham.firstname.lastname@example.org) or
Coach Grainne Meninzor at 878-4240 ext 32945 (email@example.com).
We wish you every success this year!
Please review our Athletic Guidelines and sign below:
ATHLETE’S NAME (PRINT): _____________________________________
ATHLETE’S SIGNATURE: _______________________________________
PARENT/GUARDIAN SIGNATURE: _________________________________________
PRIMARY HOME/WORK OR CELL PHONE #: ________________________________